Jan 16, 2008

A little rant about cover songs......

Just so you know Wednesdays are going to be slow days. It is a day of work then school..... Boring I know. So I get to do one post for sure today! So here is todays post:

Before I get into this I have to express something I feel about music. I feel that a band should not make it big because of a cover song. A band should make good music then if they feel like doing a homage to someone, then more power to them. Bands that fall into the 'Make it big on somebodies music' are

  • Alien Ant Farm (Smooth Criminal)
  • Miser (Zombie)
  • Iron and Wine (Such Great Heights)

Now I am not saying these bands are bad. I'm just saying I did not hear of them until their cover song came out. The radio would play them over and over and over and over.... Oh sorry. Anyway I find it annoying.

Then something wonderful comes along. I will be re-introduced to one such band, and take back everything I said about them. This is where the post comes in. Iron and Wine have redeemed themselves with their new single Boy With a Coin.

Artist: Iron and Wine
Song: Boy With a Coin
Album: The Shepherd's Dog

If you too were turned away from a band because they made it 'big' from somebody else's work, this might be the time to take a second look and listen. In fact, this whole album is good. I am now jealous of people who got to know Iron and Wine through this song and not Such Great Heights. They get to enjoy a new band with a great song.

The video to this song is just so simple and beautiful in its own! Just push play, you know you want to.







Myspace
CD Also Available on iTunes

P.S. My roommate just came in and says "You do know Iron and Wine had 2 CDs before that song came out right?" My respons, "At the time..... no!!!!" That is what this whole blog is about! I just had to write this. Enjoy!




No comments: