Jan 30, 2008

Gray is the new gold...


Seeing that I'm a little lass stuck across the seas who happens to, um, love music, I figured that I could insert my two pence about my favorite music right now this side of the Atlantic. Although I too like to rock out with my, (insert whatever sort of body part you'd like here), I'd like to mellow the group down for a bit with a British musician who I've just recently really gotten to know. The "folk rock" artist, David Gray, is a very talented musician who is quite a well known name here in the UK, who sadly, has never received the musical attention he deserves back in the US.

This artist, who's songs you might recognize on a TV commercial or two, has actually been apart of the music scene since the '90s. Now at the ripe age of 39, Mr. Gray has a greatest hits album, is a frequent visitor to the UK music charts and has won multiple awards for his musical works which are heavily influenced by both guitar and piano. Gifted with an unique voice and way with lyrics, this Brit not only creates ridiculously good music, but possesses an eerie ability to capture moments in life that we all as human beings experience. On a personal side note, be sure to check out Gray's track, "This Year's Love." Not only does this track have simple yet beautiful piano chords and lyrics, but you might recognize it from the hilarious movie "The Girl Next Door." (It's the slow motion kissing scene at the party...hey they had to throw in a "I'd wish that would happen to me moment" for us girls ok?) I've attached a live version of the mentioned track below in a clip from YouTube. Check it out. It really is kinda spellbinding. Until next time, cheerio!

Artist: David Grey
Song: "This Years Love"
Album: Greatest Hits

Myspace

CD

1 comment:

Codie said...

Wow, that song is great babe! It's a shame he has not been recognized that much in the Americas. I do recognize the song from a few things though.